95. Ripe and rich, but focused, with verbena, bitter almond and wet stone notes threading through the core of creamed yellow apple, pear and melon flavors. Very long, with a gorgeous salted butter echo. Drink now through 2020. 2,100 cases made.
94. Limpid yellow. Penetrating citrus and orchard fruit aromas are joined by suggestions of chalky minerals, fennel and jasmine. Juicy and deeply concentrated, offering mineral-driven pear nectar and Meyer lemon flavors that show superb definition and drive. The mineral and pear notes repeat emphatically on the nervy finish, which hangs on with impressive focus and persistence.
94. In just one short year, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc has blossomed into a richer wine, with ripe pineapple and tangerine flavors balanced by crisp lime notes. Medium to full-bodied, it boasts a lovely, silky texture and a long, finely nuanced finish. It should drink well for another 5-7 years.
95. It’s always more straight, focused, and chiseled than the La Roquète. Lemon curd, white flowers, salty minerality, and ample licorice notes all give way to a medium to full-bodied, concentrated, beautifully balanced white. Give it a few years.
Breezy, blossomy style with citrus pith. Full-bodied with good concentration but good acidity, fresh and lively. There’s lovely balance between vibrant fresh fruits, acidity and some discreet, pithy structural bitterness. The long finish displays some subtle oak influence.
Drinkin window 2018-2022
Dom du Vieux Télégraphe 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Stunning baked-apple fruit with cinnamon spice and white chocolate. Charming and generous, but has good acidic backbone too. Refreshing and satisfying, and concentrated enough to age well. (RH)Drink 2018-2024
£55 RRP imported by Thorman Hunt 17+
91. The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc is tight and zesty, reflecting its high proportion of Clairette (40%), low proportion of Roussanne (15%) and the addition of Bourboulenc (15%) to the blend. Lime zest and the merest hints of pencil shavings mark this medium-bodied white. If you enjoy aging your white Châteauneufs, this would be one to put away.
95. Ripe and rich, but focused, with verbena, bitter almond and wet stone notes threading through the core of creamed yellow apple, pear and melon flavors. Very long, with a gorgeous salted butter echo.